Thursday, June 4, 2015

Figuring out what STUFF we need.

Over the years I've figured out clothes packing...  You start with shoes - narrow it to to 2-3 pairs MAX.  Then match clothes to the shoes.  This is especially important if you're doing carry on only, since shoes are bulky.   We're all bringing 1 pair of sneakers, and one pair of sandals/water shoes.  For the boys - that's crocs.  For hubby, it's his teva's.  For me I am torn between my crocs flip flops (amazingly arch support and comfy for long walks) and a pair of crocs sandals that are a little dressier.  Still comfy, but not quite as super comfy.  Every other piece of clothing has to be mix and match.  Nothing that has to be outfit specific.

The harder part I'm having is with the devices, travel accessories etc.   I have a new laptop that is small and has a touch screen and super hinge - so it can act as a tablet.  I have my Nexus 5 phone that works CDMA at home, and GSM for europe (with a European sim card which we'll purchase there.)  I have the plug adapters.   Now comes the other stuff....
Do I need a GPS?  I have a tom-tom with European maps - but I'm thinking the phone and google maps are good enough - especially since we won't be driving much.   Do I need my external hard drive?  Might be nice to have an easy way to back up all the photos we'll be taking.   Do I bring a few extra flash drives with back ups of our key documents (reservation and ticket PRNs)?   Aghhh... I don't want to overcomplicate it.

And then there's the kids electronics.  Both boys are upset I'm not letting them take laptops.  Their phones are CDMA so useless in Europe.  One son has a kindle - so I'll probably let him take that.  The other son *might* get a hand me down android tablet... (depends on grades).   Both think they want to bring their old, long dusty, DS's... because they won't have computers.   So... do I let them go to Europe and ignore their surroundings staring at tiny screens?   Hubby says no... but I'm arguing both sides, with myself, and driving myself crazy.

We also want to bring books that we can pass among each other - and then leave behind when we're done.   I'm thinking of getting used copies of classic sci fi and fantasy - Lord of The Rings, Foundation series, etc...   If we each bring a series, then we can swap... 9 weeks is a long time to cover for reading.  Fortunately, the younger son is reading at an adult level - so it's just a matter of coming up with something we're all interested in reading.

Whatever we decide... It has to fit in their rolling carry on or their back pack...  We're doing this trip carryon style.

2 comments:

  1. I love the blog already, Katie, and you're not even gone yet! You are going to the land of sensible, comfortable and well-made shoes. And you will be there in August when summer shoes go on sale. Bring only 2 pairs with you and then when they start to get stinky, too small for the boys, worn out, pick up some sale shoes at chains like Reno.de for cheap at the end of summer season

    ReplyDelete